Friday, January 30, 2009

Home made icy poles...


Where I live we are in the middle of a major heat wave -the worst for 100 years. It's about 44 degrees celsius at the moment (about 111 F). There's alot of power black outs due to heat and the air con is not great. I've heard reports that people's pets have died, particularly rodents, birds and rabbits and a co-worker has had to leave due to fire risk around her home. A lot of people are going and staying at airconditioned hotels which I have to admit is very tempting, but we have lots to do as my husband is off to England on monday for his Nan's funeral. Bad reason to go obviously, but I'm envious he is escaping the heat! There's not much we can do unfortunately.

Here's a couple of my icy pole recipes for keeping cool:

Vodka icy poles:

Ingredients:
-vodka
-fruit of choice. I have tried watermelon and pineapple.
-ice


Instructions:

Blend all ingredients and freeze in a mould or plastic cup. If you can't wait and must consume, go right ahead.
Lazy person's icy pole:
Ingredients:
-vodka or gin
-store bought icy pole (aka iced lolly)
Instructions:
Pour a generous quantity of liquor into a cold glass.
Add icypole.
Mush together.
Eat with a spoon.

3 comments:

abearmadethis said...

Man, these are the best icy pole reciepes I've ever seen! Vodka, you are so versatile...I salute thee!

Cate Lawrence said...

yes it's a favourite at the Rabbit Warren :-)!

Bo Bo said...

Brilliant reciepes, will be making them tonight, thanks